We had the day off yesterday in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., so I had to try my best to explain to why. You are probably thinking "how hard could it be?" Well maybe not. You might be thinking "ugh, I bet that is hard!" and if you are one of those realistic peeps, then you are correct!
It is a very tricky and sticky topic to talk about. Sometimes you have kids that already know a lot and they want to take over and tell everybody what their mom told them, which is not always P.C. This year, luckily my kids were pretty clueless (that's probably the only time I can say I was thankful for their cluelessness).
Anyway, I read them a story about his life and added some side notes, like "remember, this was a long time ago and that's not how it is now" and "that wasn't very fair, was it?!". The only thing about them being completely clueless, is then they get so sad when you get to the end of his life and their little faces could just kill you. I'm serious!
Soooo then we were ready for something artsy! We made handprint doves and wrote about what we could do to be more peaceful like Dr. King would want. They were all really good, but I thought these were worth sharing with you:
Yes, it says "I will be peaceful. I will not hurt any black people".
The next one comes to you from your old friend, Pepe. Remember him from this post? and here he popped up again.
This one reads, " I will be peaceful. I will not hop."
I'm not sure Pepe quite understood how we were using the word "peaceful" here, but as you recall, we do struggle with a bit of a language barrier.
He typically doesn't even hop that much...
While they wrote these profound sentences, these are a few snippets of conversations I heard:
"I like white people. I also like brown people. Because I'm white AND brown!"
true
"I'm brown! ...but my palms be white?!"
This was kinda puzzling to him...I mean did he just look at his palms for the first time today!?
Then everybody felt the need to shout out what color their skin is! And some corrected others.
"I'm brown!"
"I'm black!"
"I'm white!"
"No, you're orange!"
If I could let them talk among themselves all day and post their convos, I feel like this blog would be a lot more consistently funny. Too bad I have to constantly interrupt them and try to teach them a thing or two!
No comments:
Post a Comment