Monday, August 16, 2010

So what's your point?

It may be getting a little less scary in Mrs. Pate's room. I'm won't say much else-I may jinx it!

I have heard some funny things come out of these little ones mouth's lately though, which helps get you through the day.

Last Friday, Harry came in with the aide that brings him in and gets him settled. On the way down the hall to my room he told her " I am SO HAPPY TODAY". That's always a good sign with Harry. She explained his morning work assignment and he got started; another shocking and amazingly good sign when it comes to him!

They were writing their sight words five times each and after he wrote the word 'you' twice he looked at her so straight faced and said "so, what's your point here?". She tried not to laugh and told him that she didn't have one, but Mrs. Pate wants him to do the assignment. He thought about it and then decided to finish. Of course it seems pointless to him; he is brilliant and does not need to be working on the word 'you'. What he really is working on is sitting at his desk and following directions!  But we sure as hell can't tell Harry that!

Another really cute little boy makes me giggle a lot. He is Hispanic, and ironically he might be the most articulate kid in my class (most of the time). Last week, he was getting really frustrated with the pencil situation at his table. He said "Miss Pate, all our pencils keep 'dissing-appear'!". I didn't answer him at first and thought maybe he would correct himself, but then he just repeated it about five more times and, of course louder. So I told him that he meant "disappearing" and he just looked at me like "OK but what are you going to do about my pencils?".

Today he did it again, but this time it was "dissing-appearing". So I guess he'll get there. Maybe next week.


2 comments: