Saturday night, we decided to take Ashley and Kyle to Gip's Place in Bessemer, which is a "blues joint" in Mr. Henry Gipson's backyard.
I'm pretty sure this is not what they were expecting to do on their visit to Birmingham!
We have been there one other time and we have been talking about going back. The weather was so nice and we could all use a little culture; so why not!?!
This is Mr. Gip:
That pic is kinda artsy, right?!
Gip's Place is literally a dilapidated shed where blues musicians perform on Saturday nights.
You pay $10 and take your own drinks. Ashley and I opted for champagne, duh!
We were there for a good hour and a half before he bothered to ask us for the $10. Jon tried to give him a 20 for both of us, but when Jon told him he was with me he gave him 10 back. I think Mr. Gip has a crush on me! He didn't let Kyle pay full price either!
Maybe if he actually charged what he says he does, his tin shed could get a little facelift! But, I don't think he cares to do that!
This is what it looks like coming down the driveway. I do not suggest wearing heels.
Off to the right, there is a tiny shack where they cook food. They were frying catfish the first time we went. You can also get a hot dog with meat sauce on top, if you like that sort of thing. We did not dine at Gip's Place.
This was some newer decor that I noticed.
Katherine and I posed with Mr. Gip when we went in August.
Looks like some place in New Orleans, doesn't it?
You definitely will not find me hanging out in Bessemer every Saturday night, but it's fun every once and while and worth the trip if you live in Birmingham.
Here is a video from youtube that pretty much sums it up!
Mr. Gip!! I had so much fun at Gip's Place. I think I can say it was the first time I drank champagne next to a fire in a barrel. If we go again, I might work up the courage to try a hot dog with "meat sauce." Mmmm! Thank you for my cultural experience.
ReplyDelete