Wednesday, March 16, 2011

copycat

Yes. I admit it. I am a copycat.

 I needed curtains for the guest bedroom, and I needed them fast. We don't need little Riley waking up any earlier than usual! So, I copied some other bloggers like, Katie Beth at The Good Stuff and Laurel-Dawn at Abode Love and decided to make drop cloth curtains.

First, let me tell you that this is not another DIY design blog by any means! It never will be. But you know, I don't have anything else to tell you this week.

They are 6' x 9', so I got two and cut them in half to make 4 panels that would be roughly 3' wide.

Next, I needed to hem to edges that I cut. Now let me tell you, I don't know that much about sewing, but I do know that a good iron should be you best friend when sewing. 

I folded over the hem and ironed it real well before sewing it.


Got it? Ok, and the second thing I know about sewing is: Thank God sweet Aunt Ruth kept her instruction manual! I feel like every single time I sit down at this machine to do anything I have to re-read parts of it. This time I had to review how to make the bobbin. Very important!


Got that figured out and hemmed the edges. Then I had to girly it up and sew on some trim.


and then more ironing...


I just folded the top over about 4 inches and ironed it with starch. I love starch.

Had to get a little creative with the rings. I decided to use shower hooks because they were so pretty.


it works...


And bam! Riley has curtains! Not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but for $40 and probably an hours worth of work, I'll take it for now. 


I can't wait for the day to come when I am so rich that I will laugh hysterically at the fact that I made curtains out of drop cloths from Home Depot!








3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, for a minute I thought I was reading Young House Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are. this is really sherry.

    j/k but i kinda felt like her. but don't say that ever again!

    ReplyDelete